Houston Daily Photo

Howdy Ya'll! Everyday we will post a random picture from the great city of Houston, Texas. Come...See...Experience Houston! If there is anything we can do for you...snap a picture, send a postcard, swap links...just let us know!

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Astroworld


For those of you not familiar with Houston this picture won't mean much to you, but this is really special to me. This spot used to be the home of the Six Flags Astroworld/Waterworld Theme Park. At the far right hand side (where the fence ends with the pole next to it) you can see where the grand entrance used to be. It is depressing to drive by here now and see nothing.

Here you can see an aerial view of how the park used to be.

Here you can see the last map made of the park.

Here you can read about several of the rides. (My favorites were Greased Lighting, Texas Cyclone, The Looping Starship, Ultra Twister, XLR-8, and Thunder River.)

Here you can see several photos of the park in general.

They closed Astroworld down at the end of October last year, because the land is too valuable now to hold a theme park. This land is located directly across from the Reliant Stadium. They will probably build something depressing like condos or an apartment complex. Granted the last few years it had gotten a little rough and not as many people were going, but when we were growing up it was the best place in Houston. Those were the days.

5 Bouquets of Flowers:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK,what are we trying to do here, make a grown man cry? I've been going to that park since I was about 5 years old. My wife is from El Paso (700+ miles from here) and her family would drive all the way to Houston just to go the Astroworld. It is sad to see it go. Let's just hope they build something good there now. I think it would be cool if they put some kind of little monument or statue on the new property to honor the park and keep a little part of it alive.

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am right there with you (boo hoo).. I don't want to date myself, but I was going there from the time the park opened, and I never thought I would live to see it close. I pass by there every day going back and forth to work, and I almost tear up every time. I'm glad my kids had the chance to experience the fun there too, but am sad that my grandkids (that I hope I will have some day) will never get to enjoy, and will just have to live through our memories. Now I need a hankie. :0(

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's sad that all the Wallie Worlds are disappearing. Soon the only family entertainment will be at the mega theme parks with mega entrance fees.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Kala said...

you know something weird about that rationale that the land is too valuable for an amusement park ... sometings just cannot be measured in dollar signs - like the family like feel of having an entertainment complex that families can go to - we had one here too and it got booted for a shopping mall and new homes ... so I guess that looks to be the way your place will go as well.

2:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go here and read the real reason why they closed down the park.

http://saveastroworld.com/

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home