Houston Daily Photo

Howdy Ya'll! Everyday we will post a random picture from the great city of Houston, Texas. Come...See...Experience Houston! If there is anything we can do for you...snap a picture, send a postcard, swap links...just let us know!

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Feelin' Lucky?

This Lucky Bamboo is at the drying table at the place where I get my nails done. I never really thought about what it represented so I did a little researching and here is what I came up with:

"Why Is It Called "Lucky" Bamboo?

Along with its ease of growth, Lucky Bamboo has long been associated with the Eastern practice of Feng Shui - or the bringing of natural elements of water, fire, earth, wood and metal into balance within the environment. Lucky Bamboo is believed to be an ideal example of the thriving wood and water element, with the addition of a red ribbon sometimes tied around the stalks - which is believed to "fire" the positive flow of energy or chi in the room. The number of stalks also has meaning : three stalks for happiness; five stalks for wealth; six stalks for health. Four stalks, however, are always avoided - since the word "four" in Chinese sounds too similar to the Chinese word for "death!"

I've always noticed the red ribbons, but never realized they actually represented something. You learn something new everyday!

4 Bouquets of Flowers:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this that salon you go to?

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, I am a Chinese and even I didn't know about the red ribbons! I have Lucky Bamboo sitting in my living room too -- just to make my home away from home more like a real home!!

10:03 PM  
Blogger Candice and Megan said...

Yes, Mr. Code Brown.

Haha, we need to get you a red ribbon, Fay.

5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The number "4" is my lucky number, good thing I'm not Chinese. I love even numbers and hate odd ones.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home